I am just loooving this food combo right now.
Obviously I am on a goat cheese kick, but pairing it with butternut squash is heavenly. We’ve made this recipe twice in just a couple weeks and seriously cannot get enough.
Oddly enough, I’ve only made risotto a few times before this. And when I said “I”, I really mean mostly My Other Half. You see, risotto involves constant stirring for a long, long time. Like 30 minutes, maybe? Anyway, my chicken arms get sore. I can’t handle it. So I do all the legwork and then bring My Other Half in for the heavy lifting. He’s much more patient… and strong. Obviously.
My girlfriend Kacie recently moved to Charlotte (you can “like” her Facebook page here!), where she’s making new friends and entertaining a bit. I thought it was interesting when she told me risotto is her go-to for entertaining. I should tell her to try my Lemon & Arugula Risotto (it’s soo summery and delicious!)
I ate this for lunch 6/10 days over two weeks and didn’t complain one bit. I actually couldn’t wait to devour the smooth, sweet, creamy goodness.
- 1 cup arborio rice (risotto)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine (or water)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and grated
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a pot and add onion and squash. Sauté until onion is translucent. Add the rice and stir well. Cook for a few minutes, and then add the wine. Stir until all liquid is gone. Gradually, in small portions, add the chicken broth, stirring constantly. When all liquid is absorbed, add more, and so on. When you only have a cup of stock left, taste-test the risotto. If it’s still too firm, continue adding more stock until it’s to your desired tenderness. Remove from heat and stir in goat cheese. Season with salt, if required.