Welcome to The Domestic Blonde!
A little bit about me. My name is Julia Kent, and I am a food blogger and recipe tester. I moved from Halifax to Ottawa in 2006 to go to Carleton University. I graduated in the spring of 2010 with a Bachelor of Journalism and a Minor in French.
During the day, I work in corporate marketing for MHPM Project Leaders. Otherwise, you can find me playing competitive soccer for the Ottawa Falcons, gardening, watercolour painting or reading for the fabulous “Unputdownable” Book Club I started in September 2010. I’m also a devout Anglican and a former musical theatre junkie, having starred in productions of Anne of Green Gables, Fiddler on the Roof and Guys and Dolls.
I’m a proud little homeowner, I grow orchids, I love red wine, I have an extremely patient and lovable boyfriend (My Other Half), and I miss my crazy family in Halifax desperately.
I love to cook and entertain. I also love to plan, organize, decorate and clean, so I’d say I much more domestic than your average 20-something, at least these days. This blog is about my trials, tribulations, adventures and exploits with all different types of food and all things domestic (and the occasional plug for my book club).
I started this blog in August 2010 as a hobby after finishing journalism school. I love to write about what I cook, eat and do around the house.
15 fun facts about me:
- I’m a natural blonde and have never dyed my hair.
- My favourite food is Thai.
- My parents were competitive ballroom dancers.
- The only continent I haven’t been to is Africa. And Antarctica. But I was a mile off the coast of Antarctica in 2006!
- I sang competitively for five years and danced competitively for almost 10.
- I speak basic Italian and understand German and some Arabic. I’m fluent in French.
- I quote the movie Bridesmaids regularly.
- My favourite books are Pride & Prejudice, A Thousand Splendid Suns, One Day and The Book of Negroes.
- I call my parents every single day.
- I was part of the Girl Guides of Canada for over a decade.
- I am a Chapters Indigo and Canadian Living fanatic. Love them!
- I’m not a big fan of chocolate.
- My favourite celebrity chef is Nigella Lawson, followed closely by Guy Fieri.
- My anniversary with My Other Half is the 366th day of the year – February 29, 2008.
- My favourite TV show is The Office, but I love garbage reality shows like The Bachelor, Big Brother and Biggest Loser.
And that’s me! Bon appétit!