Welcome to The Domestic Blonde!
I’m Julia, a food blogger and recipe tester.
I love to cook and entertain. I also love to plan, organize, decorate and clean, so I’m pretty domestic for your average 20-something. This blog is about my trials, tribulations, adventures and exploits with all different types of food, and anything else about the home.
I’m a proud Canadian! I moved from Halifax to Ottawa, Canada’s capital, to go to Carleton University. I graduated with a journalism and french degree.
During the day, I work in marketing for a project management firm. Otherwise, you can find me playing competitive soccer, gardening, watercolour painting or reading for the fabulous “Unputdownable” Book Club I started in September 2010. I’m also a devout Anglican and a former musical theatre junkie, having starred in productions of Anne of Green Gables, Fiddler on the Roof and Guys and Dolls.
I’m a proud little homeowner, I love red wine, I have an extremely patient and lovable boyfriend (My Other Half), and I miss my crazy family in Halifax desperately.
15 fun facts about me:
- My favourite food is Thai.
- My parents were competitive ballroom dancers.
- The only continent I haven’t been to is Africa. And Antarctica. But I was a mile off the coast of Antarctica in 2006!
- I sang competitively for five years and danced competitively for almost 10.
- I speak basic Italian and understand some German and Arabic. I’m fluent in French.
- I quote the movie Bridesmaids regularly.
- My favourite books are Pride & Prejudice, A Thousand Splendid Suns, One Day and The Book of Negroes.
- I call my parents way more than is probably healthy OR necessary.
- I was part of the Girl Guides of Canada for over a decade.
- I am a Chapters Indigo and Canadian Living fanatic. Love them!
- I’m not a big fan of chocolate.
- My favourite celebrity chef is Nigella Lawson, followed closely by Guy Fieri.
- My anniversary with My Other Half is the 366th day of the year – February 29, 2008.
- My favourite TV show is The Office, but I love garbage reality shows like The Bachelor, Big Brother and Biggest Loser.
- I have never dyed my hair.
And that’s me! Bon appétit!