I was not expecting this simple pasta to blow me away like it did.
Well, I was pleasantly surprised. Since then, I’ve told everyone about it. I want to make it over and over.
The very best part? One serving is only 300 calories. I know, right? How is that possible? If you don’t believe me, check out the original recipe here. If you omit the pasta, it’s only 200 calories!
This pasta involves very few ingredients and is super fast to make. It tastes much more complex and labour-intensive than it really it!
- 2/3 cup half and half
- ½ canned large chipotle chilli in adobo sauce (details below)
- 1 tbsp grated orange rind
- Cooking spray (I use Pam)
- 1 lb peeled raw shrimp
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- 200g whole wheat pasta (linguini or spaghetti)
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Make the sauce by blending the first three ingredients in a blender. Be sure that the chilli is totally blended. Heat a frying pan and coat with cooking spray. Add shrimp and spray with cooking spray, then sprinkle with cumin and salt. Cook until shrimp are done and then move to a plate. Reduce heat and add sauce from blender. Cook for a minute, stirring the whole time. Mix sauce, shrimp and cooked pasta and garnish with cilantro, if using. Makes four servings.
A note about chipotle peppers in adobo sauce – this is one of my favourite ingredients in cooking. When I first heard of it, I had no idea what it was and was certain it’d be hard to find. However, it is readily available at Loblaws/Superstore in the Mexican section (the red label products). They always have it and they’re under $2 per can. Because you normally only use one pepper per recipe (they are REALLY spicy so be careful), I put the rest in a Tupperware in the fridge or freezer. I have a few recipes you can use them for, mainly my delicious Mexican Meatloaves and my favourite Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Salad (both in my top recipes from 2011).
It’s so nice to stumble upon easy, healthy and delicious recipes! I will certainly be making this one again and again.