Note: This post was updated in January 2014 with new photography!
Introducing the most delicious, healthy and addictive discovery of the year…. well, month, I guess.
No, they’re not meatballs. They’re sweet, totally raw, healthy, delicious Energy Bites!
I found a similar recipe in the fall on Pinterest. But I didn’t get around to making them until my May book club meeting!
They were a huge hit and I’ve been asked the recipe a few times since.
And I promise, if you use white coconut in then, they won’t look like meatballs.
This is the kind of snack I will make over and over. Make a big batch and bring a few to work to sustain you through the day. They’re great if you have an on-the-go schedule like me. Soccer game in an hour? No problem! Just pop in a few of these energy bites and you’re good to go!
You can make whatever substitutions you want too – cereal, nuts… whatever.
Yum yum yum. That’s all I can say about these!
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut (I used coloured, and that's why they look like meatballs)
- 1/2 cup milled/ground flax
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (mini is best)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup almond butter (you can use any nut butter, though)
- 1/3 cup liquid honey
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly and chill. Roll into balls and devour!
- Adapted from Smashed Peas & Carrots
What are your favourite on-the-go snacks?