Easy recipes that appear way harder than they actually are.
That, my friends, is what I dream of.
This is exactly that. This recipe seems so complicated and fancy, but takes no time to put together and offers impressive presentation. A winner, in my books!
My Other Half and I enjoyed these on a sunny Saturday evening, dining al fresco. It was a special Asian summer treat!
I bought big salmon fillets and cut them in half. They should definitely be no more than two inches wide. And don’t forget to take the skin off!
Another time-saving tip: use scissors for things like green onion. Way easier! (I also love scissors for bacon!) Oh, and I also buy pre-shaved carrots for salads etc. I learned a lot of these little tricks from my idol, Nigella Lawson.
Also, for the record, the bok choy is the best bok choy recipe I’ve ever eaten. Delicious! The perfect side to any Asian-inspired meal.
- 4 round rice paper wrappers
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 4 small skinless salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsps hoisin sauce
- Sesame Bok Choy:
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsps sesame seeds
- 1 lb baby bok choy, quartered
- Soak rice paper in hot water. Remove and pat dry. Sprinkle the carrot and green onion in centre of each round and top with salmon. Fold the rice paper over the salmon. In an ovenproof frying pan, heat oil and cook bundles until golden and crisp. This shouldn’t take very long. Brush the bundles all over with hoisin sauce. Bake at 400 degrees until slightly firm to the touch (about 7 minutes).
- For the sesame bok choy, whisk together the soy sauce, sugar and vinegar until the sugar is dissolved. In a large frying pan or wok, heat sesame oil and stir-fry garlic, ginger and sesame seeds until golden. Add the bok choy and soy mixture, then cover and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
Yum! And I’m not even a salmon fan (unless it’s sushi)!
Another note: the wine on the table is our new favourite white, Cupcake Chardonnay. Amazing!
I should also mention that my 2nd Blogiversary just passed on August 5th! Yay!