Hors d’oeuvres are difficult in the summer. I typically think of them as being hot finger foods served by waiters dressed as penguins. But when you’re hosting a dinner party in 40 degree heat, that’s not really going to fly, is it?
Let’s be honest – there will never be waiters dressed as penguins serving anything at my house. Not unless My Other Half owns a tuxedo I am unaware of.
But hors d’oeuvres, yes – I like to serve a pre-meal appetizer for when our guests arrive. More often than not this is a cheese platter, but recently I decided to try something new.
I am instantly drawn to anything containing avocado, so when I found these Shrimp, Avocado & Cucumber Bites, it was love at first sight. Refreshing and simple, I have yet to find better appetizer for a hot summer day.
- 170g cooked cold-water salad shrimp, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 English cucumber, cut diagonally in 24 slices
- Places cucumber slices on a platter. Mix remaining ingredients and serve 1 tbsp of the mixture on each cucumber slice. That’s it!
- Adapted from Canadian Living