We are obsessed with buffalo chicken ANYTHING. Especially if it involves quinoa, obviously.
You know what really blew our minds this weekend? We decided to check the nutritional information in the President’s Choice buffalo chicken sauce and found that it has ZERO calories. Tons of sodium, obviously (not for you, Uncle Stuff!), but zero calories. And I’d been feeling guilty for eating so much of it! I promptly checked my Frank’s hot sauce and it, too, has zero calories (I put that sh*t on everything). What a pleasant surprise!
Moving on to the recipe of the day… Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Salad!
This really couldn’t be simpler. The hardest part is cooking the quinoa. I get a lot of questions about the quinoa to water ratio. A good rule of thumb is twice the water (i.e. cook 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water).
This was super-fast to make. We dubbed it the “ultimate comfort food” almost instantly. Yum!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound chicken, cooked & shredded
- 3/4 cup julienned carrots
- 3/4 cup julienned broccoli stalks (like this slaw mixture)
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles, for garnish (optional)
- 2 green onions chopped, for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (more if desired)
- Rinse the quinoa. Add it to a pot of water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until to liquid remains. Transfer quinoa to a bowl and add the carrots and broccoli. Mix the olive oil and buffalo sauce and pour over quinoa mixture. Mix well and plate, topping with blue cheese and green onion. Can be served hot or cold.
- Adapted from Half Baked Harvest
The carrots and broccoli add a nice crunch. I didn’t find this recipe too spicy at all, but if you want some extra kick just add more buffalo sauce. I wish I’d made a double batch of this stuff. The perfect meal to curl up and watch TV with on chilly night!