Before I get started, I just want to apologize for the terrible photography for these recipes. Cooking at night makes it really hard!
It should come as no surprise that our favourite dinner party guests are family – my cousin De and her boyfriend Jumbo. On top of being family, they’re also some of our best friends.
There are several reasons why they’re the perfect dinner party guests (for us). Just to name a few…
- De used to live with us, so she knows the kitchen/house almost as well as we do and is very helpful.
- Jumbo loves my cooking. I’m always more motivated to cook for people who enjoy it!
- They’ll try anything. I love guinea pigs!
- Because we’re so close, we don’t feel the need to “entertain”… we just relax and be ourselves.
- Jumbo works for Labatt and always brings lots of beer. It’s a great perk.
I know, right? You want to have them for supper now too.
Recently, we had Jumde (their self-proclaimed nickname… you know, like Brangelina) over for a Chinese feast. I have made a few semi-authentic Chinese recipes before, but never a full-on dinner party. It was quite the experience – lots of chopping, marinating and pre-mixing sauces.
Here’s the spread:
As you can see, we made five Chinese dishes.
CLICK FOR THE RECIPES:
Two of these recipes are ones I have made before – the Guy Fieri Chicken Eggrolls (minus the avocado) and the Cashew Chicken (but I have never shared the recipe on the blog before).
But the other three recipes were new to me and My Other Half. As we always do for dinner parties, we divided up the recipes. He made the egg rolls and beef & broccoli and I did the rest (the eggrolls are very labour-intensive so it was only fair).
Now, let me get one thing straight – we are far from perfect cooks. We have hosted a few dinner parties where something went terribly wrong. But this Chinese feast was not one of those nights. Everything was delicious and probably pretty authentic.
My favourite dish was probably the chow mein, but Denise and My Other Half loved the beef & broccoli. I think Jumbo liked the eggrolls best… but he seemed to love everything.
Today I’m just going to share one recipe…. because otherwise it’d be way too long of a post. The others will come shortly!
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 3 tbsps soy sauce
- 2 tbsps rice wine
- 2 tsps sesame oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb broccoli florets
- 2 tbsps corn oil
- 1 tsps minced ginger
- 1 lb sirloin or flank steak, thinly sliced
- Make the sauce by combining 1/3 cup water with the first seven ingredients. Stir to dissolve the sugar and cornstarch. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the broccoli until tender-crisp. Drain and rinse in cold water immediately. Heat a wok or large frying pan and add the corn oil. Add the ginger and stir until golden brown. Add the beef and fry until just brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a bowl. Add sauce to wok and cook until slightly thickened. Return beef to the pan and add the broccoli. Stir until heated through.