One-pot wonders. My favourite.
Newsflash – I am a busy person. My parents are quite possibly the busiest people ever, so I come by it honestly. I want to do everything and be involved in everything, and that means I often I am out of the house Monday to Friday with very little time to cook. More often than not, the food you see on the blog has been made on the weekend.
Since I’m always running from work to the gym to soccer to book club, when I do have time to cook, often I’m too tired. So recipes like this one-pot wonder, especially when made in the slow cooker, are a Godsend. There’s something so satisfying about dumping a bunch of stuff into a pot and getting THIS for supper.
You need a BIG slow cooker for this – at least seven quarts. Mine is only five (I think), and it was almost overflowing. At least this recipe gave me something to add to my Christmas list!
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans black beans (14 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 can fire roasted crushed tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1 can diced green chilies (4 oz)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tsps minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Blue tortilla chips
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Sliced avocado
- Shredded cheese
- Fresh minced cilantro
- Put all ingredients except corn and sour cream into slow cooker on low for seven hours. When there’s 30 minutes left, remove chicken and shred. Add the corn and mix in the sour cream. Add a handful of chips to the soup. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish bowls with avocado, cheese and cilantro.
Adapted from Eat, Live, Run