There’s a LOT going on in this wicked salad. Flavours galore. I’ve added this to my ever-growing list of delicious quinoa salads, including my Go-To Quinoa Salad and my Chipotle Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Salad. Actually, for a complete list of all my quinoa recipes, click here. I made this for lunch for my parents (on Super Bowl Sunday!) who were visiting for our Ottawa engagement party. It was my Mama’s first time eating quinoa and she loved it! Although, really… who doesn’t love something smothered in bacon? This recipe is just the beginning of my obsession with jarred roasted red peppers. I bought a massive jar from Costco (obviously) and have since been using them in EVERYTHING. They’re so convenient, even though I do love roasting my own, like this soup, which is one of my most popular recipes ever. So prepare yourself for a flurry of roasted red pepper recipes over the next few weeks. I’m putting that sh*t in EVERYTHING.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 2 tsps minced garlic
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked & shredded
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers from a jar
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Soak and rinse quinoa and drain. Put in pot with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer until no more liquid remains (bout 15 minutes). Remove from heat. Cook bacon in a large frying pan to your liking. Remove with a slotted. Add onions to the pan and toss to coat in the bacon fat. Cook until the onions begin to caramelize. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add in salt, pepper, paprika and onion powder. Add shredded chicken and BBQ sauce. Reduce heat to low. Add quinoa, corn, roasted red peppers and half the cilantro and green onions. Mix well. Before serving, garnish with bacon and cilantro.