Good luck getting me to make and eat a salad at home.
I need one of three things to do it:
- Wicked awesome dressing. Some of my favourites include this Greek one, this amazing Japanese one from Costco, or the dressing in this recipe.
- Cheese, period. Goat cheese is my favourite on salads, but feta turns my crank too.
- Crunch. Like nuts or seeds – pine, pumpkin or crispy onions or something. Love them all.
Now let’s talk about this recipe – Spinach Salad with Strawberries, Feta and Candied Almonds.
- Wicked dressing? Check.
- Cheese? Check.
- Crunch? Check.
It had me at hello.
Seriously though, you will L-O-V-E this salad. Everything works in perfect balance. It’s one of the only salads in recent memory that My Other Half and I were binge-eating. If only strawberries were in season.
Try it – you’ll thank me!
- 10 cups spinach
- 5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- Heat a small frying pan and add sugar and almonds. Stirring constantly, watch the almonds closely until the sugar has started to melt and turn golden. When all sugar has melted and coated the almonds, remove them from the frying pan and let cool. If they stick together, break them up into pieces appropriate for a salad topping. Mix the dressing ingredients until the sugar as dissolved. Toss the spinach with the strawberries and feta. Drizzle dressing over top and sprinkle with almonds and serve.