Ages ago (like actually three years), some friends had us for dinner and it was unreal. Especially since when we last had them over, we served them raw pork by accident. My Other Half blames me, but he carved the tenderloin so, well… it was totally his fault.
Anyway, this salad was one of the delicious dishes they served us and I’ve never forgotten it.
The warm summer months and all the fresh berries got to me and I finally decided to make it. We loved it just as much the second time as we did the first!
I’d actually never grilled pears before, although I know warm pears and cheese is a thing. They were delicious, especially with the goat cheese and raspberries. Perfect intersection of sweet and salty.
- 3 firm ripe pears, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam (seedless if possible)
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 5 oz. mixed greens or spinach or arugula
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 4 oz crumbled goat cheese
- Grill pear wedges on BBQ for a couple minutes each side or until golden. Whisk together red wine vinegar, jam, garlic, salt and pepper and oil and set aside. Mix greens, onion, raspberries and goat cheese. drizzle with dressing and toss to combine. Serve with pears arranged on top.
Adapted from Southern Living