Good heavens this Mac & Cheese kick is a becoming a problem! I am trying not to inundate you with it (hence a week since my last Mac & Cheese post). But it’s hard, because it’s all I’m eating. Cheese and noodles, cheese and noodles!!!
Anyway, this recipe is totally different from the Classic Baked Mac & Cheese I wrote about last week. Because it’s done in a slow cooker, it’s all creamyyyy. Cheesy creamy.
I am a huge fan of dumping things in a slow cooker. Except my slow cooker is too small. I mean, it’s a normal size, but I really badly want this one (it’s on our wedding registry actually). I want it because it’s huge (8 quarts) and isn’t digital. Every digital one breaks, in my experience. Old school is where it’s at.
Anyway, cute story about my current slow cooker – when I left for university, my grandmother (who sadly passed away in February) insisted it was the one appliance I HAD to have and gave it to me as my going-away gift. She was so thoughtful. When we bought our house, she gave us her China set that her four sons bought her for her 25th wedding anniversary. Makes me teary-eyed just thinking about how well she knew me, and how much I’m going to miss her on our big day.
Sorry-not-sorry for being a sap. Do you want to hear about the awesome, creamy Mac & Cheese I made in the slow cooker that my grandmother gave me???
- 2 cups macaroni (elbow pasta)
- 4 tbsps margarine or butter
- 2.5 cups grated cheese (I used marble)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 can condensed cheese soup (10 oz)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Book pasta al dente and drain. Grease your slow cooker. In it, mix cheese, margarine, sour cream, condensed soup, milk and salt and pepper. When blended, add in the cooked pasta and stir to coat. Cook on low for two hours, stirring twice.
Adapted from Six Sisters Stuff