Our new favourite weeknight dinner!!!
Okay okay, I realize I get excited about all food, so this is kinda like “the boy who cried wolf”, but this recipe is actually knock-your-socks-off amazing. I’ve told everyone I know about it. Four times.
It tastes like it involves hours of labour and a bajillion ingredients but it’s shockingly so simple. Just dump a few things in your slow cooker and walk away. DO IT. You will thank me endlessly. This recipe will save your soul.
I also love that it’s super healthy (minus the sodium in the salsa of course). This is the perfect easy dinner. You don’t even have to thaw the chicken! How great is that?! Nobody likes waiting for chicken to thaw. Nobody.
The avocado crema is the best addition, but you could skip it and just put sliced avocado in your lettuce wraps too. It would probably be as good. I just love the creaminess and the hint of lime. The only thing that would make these even better than they already are would be cilantro. OMG cilantro and I are definitely soul mates.
- 2 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1.5 cups salsa
- 2 tsps taco seasoning (recipe below or use store bought)
- Iceberg lettuce leaves for wrapping
- Homemade taco seasoning:
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt & pepper, to taste (I used a pinch of each)
- Avocado crema:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 avocado
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- In the bottom of a greased slow cooker, place both frozen chicken breasts. Mix the taco seasoning ingredients (if using homemade) and sprinkle over chicken breasts. Top with chopped onion and jalapeño. Pour salsa over top. Cover and cook on high for four hours. At this time, the chicken breasts should flake apart and shred easily. Stir everything together until evenly mixed. For the avocado creme, place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Serve with chicken mister inside lettuce leaves and wrap like a burrito.
- Adapted from Eat, Live, Run