Chipotle Chickpea & Swiss Chard Curry with Couscous

By Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Let me tell you a story.

Chipotle Chickpea Swiss Chard Curry

Way back when I started this little blog, I didn’t really know what I was doing. I hadn’t even ever looked at other food blogs, so I had no idea what was out there. I would make some food, write about how I did it and what I liked or disliked, and then post a link to the recipe. I was rarely creating my own recipes, and even more rarely making changes to existing recipes. And almost everything I made came from Canadian Living.

I also had no idea how crucial photography was to food blogging. Let me tell you – it’s EVERYTHING. Well, not everything, but I’d say it accounts for 75% of food blog popularity and success. The other 25% is somehow divded between quality of recipes (do they actually work, taste good etc.), originality (are you making interesting and new things?) and good writing/story-telling.

So a lot of my blog posts either didn’t have photos, had stolen photos from somewhere on the internets, or had absolutely terrible, disgusting shots from my pitiful Canon point and shoot.

For the last four (!!!) years, I’ve kind of said “Oh well. Onwards and upwards”.

Chipotle Chickpea Swiss Chard Curry

However, some of my BEST recipes are in those early months of blogging! Recipes like Mama’s Chocolate Chip Cookies, my Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti, or my Pea & Avocado Hummus Dip.

So I decided it was high-time to re-make a lot of my favourite recipes that don’t have good food photography. And take new pictures. And now that, um, people actually READ my blog… share them with y’all!

Chipotle Chickpea Swiss Chard Curry

I am positively NUTS about this recipe I first blogged about ages ago. Back then, I said it was one of my favourite meals of all time. Whoa. It’s healthy, full of chipotle smokey deliciousness, and so damn easy. This recipe is different from the last time I blogged about it because I’ve made a few changes over the years.

And let me just say that even four years later, My Other Half still thought swiss chard was a fish. #winning

Chipotle Chickpea & Swiss Chard Curry


  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
  • 2 tsp minced ginger
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 3/4 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 2 tsp tomato paste
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp tumeric
  • 1 cup chopped whole canned tomatoes
  • Salt & pepper, to taste
  • 1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 4 cups chopped Swiss chard leaves (green parts)


  1. Heat the oil in a large pot. Fry onion until translucent and then add chipotle peppers. Add ginger and garlic and stir. Add ground cumin, garam masala and coriander and stir. Add tomato paste, cayenne pepper and turmeric. Cook for a couple minutes, stirring some more. Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add 1.5 cups of water and bring to boil. Add chickpeas and then simmer for 10 minutes, or until the consistency is the way you want. Stir in Swiss chard and let simmer for 3-5 minutes. Serve over rice, couscous or quinoa!

Chipotle Chickpea Swiss Chard Curry

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.