English cukes. I used to eat them like apples.
Seriously! A cold, crispy English cucumber is delicious all on its own. No dressing or dip required. But I reckon if I had people for dinner and served them half a whole cucumber on a plate as their “salad”, I might get a few weird looks.
So this time I actually chopped it up and added some seasoning. And now we have this!
Until this one, I was 100% devoted to my favourite Potluck Sweet & Spicy Cucumber Salad I first made for our housewarming party. I didn’t even want to try any other versions because I loved that one so much. I had to get creative and make a julienned cucumber salad when I cut up wayyy too many cucumbers for my Vietnamese Salad Rolls. Sometimes leftovers are the very best accidents.
This salad is way more sour than the old one, but if you’re not a huge sour fan you can add more sugar to even it out.
- 3 tbsps rice vinegar
- 1 tsp Thai seasoning (I used Epicure)
- 1 tsp himalayan pink salts
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- juice & zest of 1 lime
- 1 large cucumber, julienned
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Whisk together vinegar, Thai seasoning, salts, sugar, sesame oil, lime juice and zest. Combine cucumbers, green onion and half the cilantro into a large serving bowl. Pour over the dressing and toss to coat. Garnish with remaining cilantro.
- Note: Feel free to add more sugar if you find it too sour!