GREEN mac & cheese. I realize this is kind of weird.
So I know I promised I was done with the mac & cheese obsession. But I’d been wanting to make a creamy, cheesy avocado version for AGES. So this time, it’s the last one. For a while at least. I promise.
Plus, green things are healthy, right?
I will have you know that I made this long before Sept 15th, the day I started all my healthy eating. Since then I’ve only made pasta ONCE. Spaghetti squash has been doing the trick, thank goodness.
Lately I am all over any recipes that are “10-minute meals” or “20-minute meals” because, well… by the time I get home from work, I’m starving, there’s no daylight to take good food photos, and I want to get on with my evening, whether it be visiting with friends or laundry or writing thank you notes to the most amazing women EVER who spoiled me rotten at both my wedding showers.
So really, for this bride-to-be… quick and easy meals are the goal.
This is delicious. And obviously I added cilantro, because, well… it makes everything better.
- 5 oz macaroni
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used marble)
- Cilantro, as garnish
- Cook the macaroni according to package instructions, drain and set aside. While it’s cooking, prepare your food processor and add garlic, avocado and lime juice and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. In a small pot, melt butter and add flour to make a roux, whisking constantly. Add milk and whisk until smooth. When thickened, add cheese and stir until melted. In a big bowl, coat macaroni in avocado sauce and cheese sauce.
- Note: This does not keep well! It should be eaten the day you make it.
- Adapted from Eats Well With Others