I saved the best for last this week!
So remember on Tuesday when I told you I was going to share two AMAZING recipes from the past with you? Well here’s the second one, and it’s BAD A$$.
I will warn you in advance – you need a food processor with a grating/slicing function or a mandolin for this recipe. If you have one of those things, you will LOVE this recipe – making it as well as eating it. If you don’t, well… you will only love eating it. When someone else makes it for you.
That’s right – there is a TON of chopping involved. I prefer for machines to do my labour so I employ my friend the food processor.
Anyway, now that that disclaimer is out there… THESE ARE THE BEST EGG ROLLS ON THE PLANET.
Don’t believe me? Come over. I’ll make them for you. And then I will DARE YOU to say they’re not the best you’ve ever had.
I remember the first time we made these. They changed my life! I had never tasted anything so sinfully flavourful and delicious, like… ever. Hence why we have made these over and over again since we discovered them.
I recommend them being a meal… because you won’t be able to stop at just one or two.
- 2 tbsps canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell peppers
- 2 tbsps minced ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped chicken breast
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 4 cups canola oil
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 egg, beaten and mixed with a drop of milk
- In a big frying pan or wok, add canola oil. Sauté red onions and bell peppers until soft. Add ginger, garlic, celery and chicken and cook until chicken is no longer pink. Add soy sauce and stir. In a large bowl, mix this chicken mixture with cabbage and carrots. Stuff egg roll wrappers with this filling, topping with a slice of avocado before rolling. Seal the edges with egg. In medium pot, heat oil until anything inserted in it sizzles. Coat each eggroll in egg wash and then fry in the oil. When golden, remove and drain on a cooling rack. Serve with sweet chili sauce for dipping.
- Adapted from Guy Fieri