I’ve sen a million different “alfredo sauce” substitutes using cauliflower on the blogosphere.
So naturally I decided to try and make my own!
There are a ton out there, but here’a a few (and mine is a combination of them all):
- Cauli-power Fettucine Alfredo from Oh She Glows
- Creamy Cauliflower Sauce from Pinch of Yum
- Creamy Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce from Chocolate Covered Katie
You know how obsessed I am with spaghetti squash. specially to replace noodles. Well there sauces I’d been making were kind of defeating the purpose of leaving out noodles because they were riddled with cheese and sodium. It was high time to try something actually healthy.
A lot of these cauliflower alfredo sauces are supposed to be pale, but I use parmesan in mine. I’m sure you could use something else, like maybe nutritional yeast, but I just love the saltiness of the parmesan.
You can use this sauce for practically everything! Pour it over steamed veggies, use it as a dipping sauce, or even add it s soups. It’s basically just a fake creamy cheesy sauce. And no one will ever believe it’s made from a gigantic head of cauliflower.
- 1 large spaghetti squash, cut in half
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsps parmesan, grated
- 1/8 cup milk (as required)
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Steam the cauliflower until tender. Heat coconut oil and fry onion and garlic. Add the broth and cauliflower. Heat through. Add this and all other ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth, like alfredo sauce, adding more milk as required. Cook spaghetti squash in microwave for 8 minutes on high per side (when cut in half). Scrape out flesh and cover with sauce.