We roasted a chicken!
Ok, this is not the first time this has happened, so maybe I should specify – this is the first time we roasted a chicken and I LOVED it!
I’m not really crazy about birds, except duck. I often skip turkey at Christmas and Thanksgiving (I know, right?! I’m nuts apparently) because it just doesn’t really do much for me. I find it boring. However, if you slather it in butter and garlic (is “slather” a word? Who cares), I will most definitely devour it.
And not just the skin. I have been known to just eat the skin off chickens and turkeys. People hate me for it. But not with this recipe. No sir. I eat EVERYTHING here.
This is not my recipe! It’s Jessica’s (mostly – we changed a few tiny things) from her cookbook Seriously Delish. It’s the first recipe I’ve tried from it! If it’s anything like her blog, I’m sure it’s all fantastic. This was certainly an A+ first impression!
How much do chickens cost where you live? Here we often can get small ones for as little as $6! Seems like they’re always on sale, so I always keep one in the freezer. For, you know, rainy roast chicken days.
Oh and if you’re the gravy type, Jessica’s tutorial is the bomb.
- 1 whole chicken (~5 lbs, give or take)
- 4 tbsps salted butter, softened
- 4 tsps minced garlic
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 head of garlic, tops sliced off
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- Prepare the chicken for roasting by cleaning it, patting it dry, removing the giblets etc. In a small bowl, mix together the butter, garlic and half the pepper. Stuff the butter mixture under the skin of the chicken. Rub the outside of the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with remaining pepper. Put the head of garlic into the cavity of the chicken. Tie the legs together and tuck the wings under the body. Roast at 425 degrees for about 80 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before carving.
- _Lightly adapted from [Seriously Delishhttp://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/seriously-delish-150-recipes-for/9780544176492-item.html?s_campaign=goo-CookbooksByTitle&gclid=Cj0KEQiAreilBRDzrNfb6uqX4fwBEiQAk-MRY1nq0FyTFlt7H-62N02d0RQ1upkpwL3ULVxfI1it8TYaAmLE8P8HAQ]_