So there are very few times when I really enjoy eating chocolate.
They are (but not limited to):
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Nanaimo bars
- Chocolate bars that are mostly not chocolate (like Mars or Oh Henry)
- Chocolate croissants
- And probably many other things I can’t think of.
Right, so I do eat chocolate. But my point? Well, there are a lot of chocolate-focused things I just would never buy, order or eat. Like chocolate cake. Or chocolate cheesecake. Or chocolate ice cream. If chocolate is the main event, you can safely guess I will steer clear.
With one exception – macaroons!
If I must eat chocolate, I prefer it to be dark, and these macaroons are rich and indulgent and super dark. And did I mention delicious? Dark chocolate lovers will devour these. Like my mom, who loved them.
And bonus! They’re no-bake. That’s right – simply throw them in the freezer. They whip up in no time. Perfect for summer when you don’t want to turn the oven on.
A couple comments about this recipe – these are nut-free, gluten-free, grain-free and vegan! Perfect for practically everyone. I used sweetened coconut flakes, but feel free to use unsweetened coconut and maybe add a bit more maple syrup. Keep in mind that some cocoa powders are stronger than others, so before forming your macaroons, taste the mixture and add more maple syrup as required. The sea salt is not required, but I think it adds a lot of flavour.
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (add more if too wet)
- 1.5 cups shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Sea salt, to taste
- In a bowl, mix the mashed banana with the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Stir in the cocoa powder until all the clumps - even the tiny ones! - are gone. Add coconut and chia seeds, and a pinch of sea salt. Place macaroon balls on a lined baking sheet, and very lightly sprinkle with sea salt. Place in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. Store in the freezer as they will soften at room temperature.
- Adapted from Oh She Glows