Now THIS is my kind of supper.
I like suppers I can get excited about. I cannot stand boring suppers. If someone is like… we’re BBQing chicken and having a salad for supper, I’m practically asleep. I wanna be pumped about my suppers! Plain old chicken and salad? Boring. At least make me this salad.
I’ve talked forever about how my favourite supper has to be tacos. Well, this is basically tacos, but in different form. I actually might like this even better, if you can believe it!
These supper nachos are just really pimped out nachos, with every possible topping. There is basically a salad on top. Yay for veggies! Other toppings you could add include corn, green onions, jalapeños… you name it.
You can totally use ground beef for this recipe, but I normally make it with ground turkey or chicken. It won’t make much difference, and the flavour will still be great.
My Other Half and I make these nachos on a weekend night and sit down in front of the TV with Netflix, a beer (cider for me!) and lots of sour cream, hot sauce and salsa. Gotta love it.
- Tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsps minced garlic
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 lb ground meat (I like chicken or turkey)
- 2 tsps cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used marble)
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- In a large frying pan, fry ground meat until browned. Remove using a slotted spoon and wipe out pan. Add olive oil to the frying pan and fry onions and garlic until translucent. Re-add ground meat. Cook more, breaking up with a spoon as you go. Add cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, salt & pepper to the meat mixture. Stir, and then add water. It should bubble off pretty quickly.
- Arrange tortilla chips on a baking sheet and turn on your oven broiler. Sprinkle half the cheese over the chips. Sprinkle meat mixture over top, evenly, and then add black means. Cover with remaining cheese. Broil, watching closely, until the cheese is bubbly and melted (in my oven, this takes about 3 minutes). Top with tomatoes, lettuce, avocado and cilantroRemove from the oven and immediately cover with tomatoes, lettuce, onions, avocado and cilantro. Serve with sour cream, hot sauce and salsa.