This is the best recipe I’ve made in a long, long time!
Let me tell you a little story…
Recently, I started working with Ricardo, who you might know from his Food Network show or magazine. I was asked to make and review one of his chicken recipes from his website, and I was super excited because I got to choose whichever recipe I wanted (and he has a TON of chicken recipes).
So I made the recipe, and decided to make the suggested Blue Cheese Dip too, because I was going for the full Ricardo experience. I’ve made tons of buffalo sauces, tons of chicken wings, and tons of dips before, so I was kinda thinking, “how special can this recipe be?”
Well, was I ever wrong. From the first bite, my mind was completely blow. The flavour! The texture! The buffalo sauce + blue cheese dip combo! I was in foodie heaven.
Listen, I get approached every single day by brands and companies, looking to pay me to blog about their product. I turn down 99% of offers because I’m determined not to sell out, or lose my blog’s authenticity. I hate reading sponsored posts, specifically if I am only told it’s sponsored at the end. I was going to write my honest opinion on these chicken wings, even if I hated them, because I’m always transparent here.
But I did not expect the first Ricardo recipe I’ve ever made to completely knock my socks off with it’s deliciousness.
Ricardo… we are clearly a match made in heaven. If all your recipes are as good as these two, can I make them all, please?
So about these wings… they’re deep-fried first, then tossed in homemade buffalo sauce, and then served with the dip. All the steps are completely worth it and totally necessary. My girlfriends went nuts for these, and one even asked me where I bought them. When I told her I made them, she was shocked. They’re almost too good to be homemade!
You definitely don’t need a deep-fryer to make these – any pot with canola oil will do. I think the best thing about this recipe is the buffalo sauce, and when comparing it to similar recipes, I realized the brown sugar is the game changer. It adds a sweetness that makes all the flavours that much more complex… and addictive.
I’ll stop rambling now and share the recipe. Make ’em Sunday for football, baby! And every day after that.
- Canola oil, for frying
- 24 chicken wing pieces
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ cup hot sauce (I used regular Frank's)
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Blue Cheese Dressing:
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsps dried parsley
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or pot until 350 degrees. Prepare a wire rack with paper or a baking sheet underneath for wings. In a bowl, mix together the cornstarch, salt and spices. Add the chicken wings and toss to coat. Fry the wings in the hot oil in batches, for about 12 minutes or until golden brown. When done, place them on the wire rack to drain.
- While the wings are frying, combine all sauce ingredients in a small pot. Bring them to a boil and simmer until the sauce has thickened, like a sticky barbecue sauce. Pour into a big bowl, and add the chicken wings, tossing to coat.
- To make the blue cheese dressing, add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate for a couple hours before serving - this will soften the parsley and allow the flavours to blend. The dressing keeps for 2-3 days in the fridge.
- Serve wings with beer, blue cheese dressing and football... and lots of napkins!